Traveling with your mini-me(s) can be a great experience, especially if there is lots of excitement to attract their attention. However, there are some drawbacks involved, but if you know what makes your kids happy then these can easily be overcome. Of course, we must admit traveling in itself is work; from packing the right clothes and items you need, to planning your itinerary and making sure you leave your home safe (lock the doors, windows, garage, etc.). Then, there comes the packing list for the little ones! When you can grab a single suit for a day, bear in mind, you may sometimes need up to three or four as they love to explore without limits, whether that’s food or nature, the little ones get dirty quickly! Just by looking at the suitcases that need filling, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. But that’s why we are here to give you a little reassurance and some tips to make it easier for all involved.
So Why Make the Effort?
Being in one place for a long time can get you frustrated and tired, especially with a ‘home-work-home-work’ routine, and with no time to clear your mind and relax for a while. Even a small getaway with a beautiful car ride, to take in stunning scenery, can do more for you than a visit to the doctor when it comes to relieving stress, but also the family will get to experience life outside of their comfort zone while learning about new cultures and gaining new experiences.
How to Travel
One of the most important factors to consider when traveling with a child is to choose the right location! You do not want to make the mistake of choosing somewhere that is not child-friendly, or you will have the burden of dealing with a disappointed child as well as having to find activities to keep them interested.
Taking the Children or Leaving them Behind?
When planning a vacation, relaxation and comfort is often central; thus, the question of whether to take the children or not always comes up. Well, there are indeed both advantages and disadvantages of taking the kids along, such as:
* You get time to bond with your kids while you are away from work and they are away from the school environment. After all, you both leave in the morning, and by the time you get home, it’s time for bed anyway.
* You are not stuck to a schedule, allowing for different boundaries while you are away from the home rules, which also allows for new experiences and relationship development, the sky being the limit!
* Everyone deserves to have a little space, including your kids. Leave them at the grandparents while you go out and strengthen the bond with your significant other.
* Even when you choose a child-friendly area, they may not always be amused, and you will have to use your energy keeping them entertained.
However, here are a few general tips to consider when traveling with a toddler:
* Carry them in a sling if possible, as it will free your hands Allowing you to get around more easily.
* Travel with extra clothing that is comfortable for both you and your child.
* Be careful with the toys you bring. Avoid toys your kids like throwing around to save yourself the trouble out in public.
* Avoid handbags and hand-carry baby bags. A rucksack will do the trick in carrying everything you need while leaving your hands free.
Where Should I Go?
There are thousands, if not millions, of locations around the world, where you can travel with your toddlers without regrets. When planning your next vacation with your child, consider these three countries that other parent travelers have recommended:
This country has a host of child-friendly museums, parks, restaurants, and attraction sights. They cater to all travelers, and even with the inconvenience of a stroller, you will be comfortable. To add, you can get free bus rides in Sweden if you travel with a stroller! After all, Scandinavian parents are strong believers in ‘child’s play’, holding to the ‘Play and School Build a Child’ mentality.
Depending on which location you are traveling from, the flight can be pretty short, so less time for your child to become restless, and there are countless amounts of child-friendly attractions in the cities. Also, your children get to meet and connect with the wildlife while they enjoy the fresh air of the surroundings which helps with cognitive development. There are endless servings of sweet treats for the kids, and fun parks to create lasting memories. To add, the people here are generally warm and friendly towards children.
The United States
We all know there are endless amounts of cool places to take your child in the US. From the different national parks and sanctuaries to the museums, restaurants, and amusement parks, the amount of fun both you and your child can have while traveling in the US is limitless!
These are not the only three countries to have fun in while traveling with your young children, but if you are contemplating where to take them, then these are ideal locations to start with.